Friday 6 January 2017

Creating Final Images & Choosing Content


I finally began exploring the answers I'd been given through image making at this stage. It feels so good to finally be able to tackle this project with illustration. Though the content of this publication is the most important thing, I'm glad I've got the chance to finally engage with these answers on an image making level.

I wanted to keep the images quite raw and loose; harking back to those of female-zines.They still had to communicate the serious and mature content of the interviews but with an essence of personality. I enjoyed working on these images in my sketchbook as it allowed me to not be too precious in the image making process. At this point in the project, I was also beginning to feel the restraints of time. The answers and content I've had from the women that have engaged in this publication with me has been amazing, however time management hasn't gone exactly to plan. Waiting on others has been a real difficulty in this project, and I wish I had had more time more exploration and experimentation.

This said, I believe the images articulate the meaning and content of the publication well. Although they're not highly refined I would be doing myself an injustice to say they weren't crafted. There's a rawness to them that I think goes hand in glove with the emotive and passionate way many of these women spoke within their interviews.

I also found that once I started drawing it became more apparent which parts of each interview was most important; spoke openly and honestly about their personal circumstance. There were particular quotes I picked out to write by hand to give them extra emphasis. I didn't want the final piece to read at something repetitive and stationary. I wanted the composition of each page to differ, allowing the words to move around the page and visual represent something more fluid (dialogue). I think this also helped break up each individual segment so they were easier to differentiate.

No comments:

Post a Comment